State Services for the Blind hosted a Career Expo for high school and college students who are blind, low vision, or DeafBlind.
The event took place on Saturday, April 27.
Throughout the Expo students had the opportunity to:
- Connect with adults with a vision loss from a variety of professions and careers.
- Hear from college representatives about what college is like.
- Learn why diversity matters from an employer’s point of view.
- Share and learn about assistive technology
- Sign up for individual informational and/or mock interviews.
In this interview, Jeff Thompson caught up with Matt Higgins:
Assembly Operator, Minnesota Diversified Industries
After attending college, Matt began working with Dow Chemical where he was trained as an engineering technician. The skills he attained from Dow combined with comprehensive adjustment to blindness training through BLIND Incorporated have helped Matt continue to be a leader within his home, work, and as a part of a local band.
If you would like to know more about Transition Services from State Services contact Transition Coordinator Sheila Koenig by email or contact her via phone at 651-539-2361.
To find your State Services in your State you can go to www.AFB.org and search the directory for your agency.
Check out the Blind Abilities Communityon Facebook, the Blind Abilities Page, the Job Insights Support Groupand the Assistive Technology Community for the Blind and Visually Impaired.