Blind Abilities presents a new iPhone101 series entitled: “Managing Mail Messages and Accounts in iOS – Adding, Retrieving and Deleting, Oh My!” This new series provides various in depth demonstrations aimed at giving you the tools to effectively manage your email in an organized and efficient manner. Pete Lane walks us through each step of these processes with snappy and thorough presentations.
Adding a brand new Gmail account to the iPhone, going into the Google.com web site, choosing an email address, and adding it to the phone.
Enjoy this peppy and informative presentation in which Blind Abilities offers another educational gem in its iPhone 101 library of demonstrations.
Note: This process is very similar to the process presented in our previous episode for adding an existing Gmail account, except that you must choose the new email address you wish to use. If you are creating a new Gmail account, we suggest that you choose several potential new email addresses in case your favorites are already taken and therefore rejected by Google. This scenario is covered below in step 5.
- Ask Siri to open the “Settings” app, or perform a single-finger double-tap on the App icon.
- Flick down to “Mail” and perform a single-finger double-tap, then flick down and single-finger double-tap to select “Accounts.
- Flick down and perform a single-finger double-tap on “Add Account”.
- Select the email account service you wish to add by performing a Single-finger double-tap on that item in the list: iCloud, Exchange, Google / Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, Outlook.com / Hotmail, or “Other”.
- If you choose to add a Gmail account, single-finger double-tap on Google. In this case iOS will immediately prompt you to go to Google.com to sign in and register the email account. Single-finger double-tap on “Continue” to proceed to the web site.
- Since you are creating a brand new Gmail account, swipe right, past the sign-in elements, skip the “next” button and single-finger double-tap on “create account button”.
- Follow the prompts: type in your first and last name, birth date and gender, and then choose and type in the email address and login information requested. Since this is a new account, the address and password will be one you choose yourself, so think about this ahead of time. Also, you will be given a couple of email addresses to select if you so choose, but if you prefer using one of your own, keep in mind that many common addresses may no longer be available. Because someone else has already selected them. In this case, Google will reject them so be ready to try another one. This may happen several times.
- You will now be prompted to provide your cellular phone number so Google can contact you when needed. Once you agree and type in your phone number, you will immediately be sent a six-digit security code via text message. Be ready for this as you are given a short, 30 second time frame to retrieve and enter it.
- Note: Dictation does not behave well in these text fields, so be prepared to type-in the information using your onscreen or bluetooth keyboard.
- After providing your phone number and entering the security code, you will be presented a “Save” button, single-finger double-tap.
You will then move back to the previous screen showing your email accounts, including the newly added account. You can also return to your Mail App to verify that the new account is listed there as well.
Congratulations, you have finished creating a new email address!
Give us a call and leave us some feedback at 612-367-6093 we would love to hear from you!
Check out the Blind Abilities Communityon Facebook, the Blind Abilities Page, and the Career Resources for the Blind and Visually Impaired group