The Tech Abilities crew slid into the Blind Abilities Studio to bring you another episode of news and happenings from of course, a Blindness perspective. Covid Test and N95 masks are available and so a set of MagSafe chargers from Mophie on the Apple Store. Did you know Siri can fast forward and bring up Audio Description on Apple TV? Yup, and by the way, Happy B-Day Serina! Orcam wins at CES, the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas with the Orcam Read. The Direct Typing feature for VO is now fixed with iOS 15.2 Beta 2. Aira has a Covid promotion you may want to use when you get your home test or go into the Doctor’s office to be tested. Jeff does a Legacy Contact demonstration and Marlon is called upon to get some Killer Bee Honey? Yes, Marlon is our man on the spot when he is not in the cafeteria. We hope you enjoy!
You can listen as an entire podcast and you can use chapters to jump around and devour this episode slice by slice.
Here is a summary and timeline of our Tech Abilities episode:
Let’s Get This Show Started. 00:41
Thunder Snow and Send in Marlon. 03:39
Free Covid Rapid Test Kits and N95 Masks. 05:35
Ordering is Accessible on iPhone, Mac and PC.
Aira Covid promotion. 10:35
Use Aira while going to get tested, and doing the test yourself.
Legacy Contact Demo. 15:44
HOW TO SET UP A LEGACY CONTACT
(note you need to be running iOS 15.2 to access this feature)
- On an iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > Password & Security., Then Legacy Contact.
- On a Mac, go to System Preferences > Apple ID > Password & Security and manage Legacy Contact.
- Under Legacy Contact, follow the instructions to add a Legacy Contact. If you use Family Sharing, you can choose a family member from the list; alternatively, add someone using their email or phone number.
- Notify your Legacy Contact and share an access key via Messages. If they accept, a copy of the access key is automatically stored in their Apple ID settings. If they decline, you will receive a notification. The access key is required to get into your account if you pass away.
- While you can add a Legacy Contact who isn’t on iOS 15.2, they won’t be able to store the access key in the settings on their device, so you should provide it to them in another way.
Legacy Contact is part of the Digital Legacy program and is available now.
Stitch Fix. 28:32
the direct touch typing bug is fixed in iOS15.2 Beta 2. 31:49
Callie is a Video recording artist! 35:16
OrCam MyEye PRO, a 2022 CES Innovation Awards Honoree in both the Accessibility and Health & Wellness categories and a 2019 TIME Magazine Best Invention, is a wearable device specifically designed for people who are blind or have low vision,
OrCam Read, recognized in November as a 2021 TIME Magazine Best Invention and a CES 2021 Best of Innovation, is the first of a new category of super-efficient, easy-to-use handheld digital readers that enables people with reading challenges and those with low-to-moderate vision loss to effortlessly read the texts they need, and to successfully complete assigned classroom reading and accomplish their daily tasks.
Top Golf Experience. 43:11
Mophi has 2 new MagSafe Charger Stations in the Apple Store. 46:00
Happy Birthday Serina, and she is how old? 62:19
Audio Description News. 63:37
Using Siri on your Apple TV to fast forward, go back and to turn on Audio Description. 69:11
Bye bye and Contact Information. 72:35
Contact Your State Services
If you reside in Minnesota, and you would like to know more about Transition Services from State Services contact Transition Coordinator Sheila Koenig by email or contact her via phone at 651-539-2361.
Give us a call and leave us some feedback at 612-367-6093 we would love to hear from you!
Check out the Blind Abilities Communityon Facebook, the Blind Abilities Page, and the Career Resources for the Blind and Visually Impaired group