In this iPhone101 QuickByte demonstration, Jeff Thompson shows us how to change how vvoiceover pronounces words that just don’t sound right. You can also change the word completely, the choice is yours.
Do you have an App or particular word or name that gets mis-pronounced by your VoiceOver voice? You can change that in just a few quick steps.
- Go to the Settings icon and single finger double tap or ask Siri, “Open Settings”.
- Single finger swipe to the right down to, “Accessibility”. Single finger double tap.
- Swipe down to, “Spoken Content”.
- Swipe to the right down to, Pronunciations. You could do a four finger tap near the bottom of the screen and land on, “Pronunciations” as an alternative and faster method.
- If you have no previous entries, swipe to the right twice to “Add” and double tap.
- If you have previous entries, swipe once to the left to “Add” and double tap.
- Type in the phrase you wish to substitute.
- Swipe to the right and enter , “substitute phrase.
- Spell out how you want the phrase to be pronounced.
- Swipe to the left to “Play” (located in the upper right hand corner of the screen) and double tap to hear how the new phrase is pronounced.
- Re-try spelling if not satisfied.
Apply to specific VoiceOver Voice or to All
- Swipe down to, “Voices” and choose the VoiceOver voice that will apply this substitute phrase.
Apply to a specific App or apply to all
- Swipe down to, “Apply to all apps” and double tap to toggle on or off.
- If you turn “Apply to all apps” off, swipe to the right and proceed through the list of apps you want the replacement to take effect.
Note: Changes take effect immediately.
Be sure to check out all the Blind Abilities iPhone101/QuickBytes and subscribe to the Blind Abilities podcastwherever you listen to podcasts.
Contact Your State Services
If you reside in Minnesota, and you would like to know more about Transition Services from State Services contact Transition Coordinator Sheila Koenig by email or contact her via phone at 651-539-2361.
You can follow us on Twitter @BlindAbilities
On the web at www.BlindAbilities.com
Send us an email
Get the Free Blind Abilities App on the App Storeand Google Play Store.
Give us a call and leave us some feedback at 612-367-6093 we would love to hear from you!
Check out the Blind Abilities Communityon Facebook, the Blind Abilities Page, and the Career Resources for the Blind and Visually Impaired group