Our guest on Blind Abilities today is Michael Cleveland. Michael is a fiddler who specializes in bluegrass music, although his repertoire spans a variety of genres and multiple styles of music. he wows other Bluegrass musicians including the best in the business, in fact, Michael may just be the best bluegrass fiddler ever. But what elevates him into the rare echelon of unique talent is the diversity and range of his skill and technique. His bow speed and licks are amazing and should appeal, not just to bluegrass fans, but to everyone who has the good fortune to listen to him perform, including you with this podcast!
Join Jeff Thompson and Pete Lane as they chat with Michael about his music and his career, which began at a very early age, as well as his life with blindness. Michael is an engaging individual who openly shares his thoughts about managing as a blind musician and his opinions about music and creating fiddle music in today’s age and with today’s technology.
Michael has already risen to the top of his field in Bluegrass, mastering not only the fiddle, but the guitar, mandolin, banjo and who knows what other instruments he may have picked up! Sit back and enjoy the chat, and the many samples of music which Michael has graciously allowed us to include in the podcast. Set aside about 40 minutes to hear the fascinating story of Michael Cleveland as presented only as Blind Abilities can do.
Be sure to check out more about Michael, his music and tour dates on his web site:
He and his band, Flamekeeper are on Facebook and Instagram, @MichaelClevelandFiddle
Michael and the band have just completed recording an album, which should be released on March 3, 2023, with a single dropping soon.
Thanks for listening!
* Below are brief descriptions of the music samples we have included in the podcast along with the respective time mark where they appear in the recording. Thanks to Michael for allowing us to use limited excerpts of his music.
1.47 – define fiddle, Read by Voiceover, from www.dictionary.com
6:37 – young Michael playing Orange Blossom Special.
9:32 – Tall Timber, from fiddlers dream,
9:59, Flamekeeper: The Michael Cleveland Story, Feature length documentary, Vince Gill speaking
– 12:59, Flamekeeper: The Michael Cleveland Story, Feature length documentary, Brian Allen and his music
– 19:01, Lee Highway Blues, Michael Cleveland and Flamekeeper live, from IBMA Awards.
– 21:07, In studio rehearsal with young Michael and Doc Watson
– 28:49, blues for Bill, from Fiddler’s Dream album.
– 30:55, I knew her yesterday, from Fiddler’s Dream album.
– 32:43, Johnny Highland.
– 34:39, Tennessee Plates, Flamekeeper, with Sam Bush, from Tall Fiddler album,
– 36:11, Michael and Tommy Emanuel rehearsing Tall Fiddler in studio
– 36: 43, Flamekeeper, The Michael Cleveland Story, Feature length documentary, produced by John Presley,
– 38:33, Bela Fleck, Tarnation, from Tall Fiddler album
– 39:19, Tall Fiddler, Tommy Emanuel and Michael, from Tall Fiddler album
Contact Your State Services
If you reside in Minnesota, and you would like to know more about Transition Services from State Services contact Pre-ETS Program and Transition Services Manager Sheila Koenig by email or contact her via phone at 651-539-2361.
You can follow us on Twitter @BlindAbilities
On the web at www.BlindAbilities.com
Send us an email and give us a call at 612-367-6093, we would love to hear from you!
Get the Free Blind Abilities App on the App Storeand Google Play Store.
Give us a call and leave us some feedback at 612-367-6093 we would love to hear from you!
Check out the Blind Abilities Community on Facebook, the Blind Abilities Page, and the Career Resources for the Blind and Visually Impaired